Sussex Dance Network is an artist-led organisation for individual dance artists providing regular opportunities for training and upskilling, a quality programme and an expanded, informed and important Members network.
To reach our aspiration of being more diverse and inclusive we need to plan, programme and deliver effectively and efficiently. We aim to achieve this by energising a creative debate around equality, diversity and inclusion and steering Sussex Dance Network towards its aspirational goals. Part of the success of this role is to embed thinking within Sussex Dance Network.
Diversity to us at Sussex Dance Network (this not exhaustive list) includes: age, sex, race, religion, sexuality and disabilities (which could be physical, mental and learning). When discussing ‘Diversity’ we reflect the 9 Protected Characteristic as defined in the Equalities Act 2010. They are:
- Race & Ethnicity
- Pregnancy & Maternity
- Sexual Orientation
- Gender Reassignment
- Religion & Belief
- Marriage & Civil Partnership
We also want to commit to promoting equality and inclusion across disadvantaged socio-economic groups and communities.
About the role:
This role is a meant as a first step, a start of an ongoing process that we want to commit to. The role requires an inspiring and persuasive individual who is passionate about equality, diversity and inclusion, who can lead change and inspire Sussex Dance Network’s Management Team to embrace diversity, inclusion and equality across our whole programme and to build it into everything we do.
We are looking for someone to help implement change within the network that enables more artists to feel that Sussex Dance Network is an organisation they can be a part of and able to work with. We would like the person in this role to:
- Help reflect on our current approaches and reevaluate how we deliver content from marketing to activity
- To begin to develop an equality, diversity and inclusion strategy. We do not expect this to be finished within the time allocated
- Source alternative funding streams for continuing this work
- Significantly develop thinking to begin to start implementing positive change that works towards our longterm goals
This role is a developing role, that we hope to extend upon gaining more funding. We will also negotiate and discuss tangible outcomes for this contract period with the person selected for the role.
2 days to be agreed with the Management Team between September and December 2020.
£250 per day x 2
Total fee for the contracted period: £500.
SDN hope this role will be part of a larger package in the future, subject to funding.
Longterm Aspirations (to be developed subject to receiving more funding):
Help develop and attract talent that reflects the make-up of the population
Help inspire ideas that appeal to underserved communities
Help establish innovative practice which informs our creative delivery
Help create a system of regular review celebrating successes and informing future objectives
Help ensure that activities take place in accessible settings, with clear guidance to participants
Strategy and Policy:
Ensure an agreed Diversity plan for 2021
Work with the Management Team and Board to make sure all know about the equality, diversity and inclusion action plan and any wider strategy.
Longterm Measures of Success:
- Diversity Plan and Policy in place by 2021 with SMART objectives to secure these objectives and an action plan for implementation
- Being able to celebrate key successes to motivate and inspire continued action
- Having embed equality, diversity and inclusion as part of the creative process
- Having sustainable succession planning in place for key leadership roles and business roles leading on equality, diversity and inclusion
- Progress made towards increasing participation with underrepresented audiences
- Ability to inspire creative leaders to identify objectives and support them as they develop and implement action plans and encourage a celebration of success
Suitable applicants will:
- Have experience of equality, diversity and inclusion strategy and or policy development
- Have experience working on projects with equality, diversity and inclusion at their hearts
- Can demonstrate their passion, enthusiasm and energy for leading equality, diversity and inclusion
- Live in Sussex and or can demonstrate a high knowledge of the communities and artists within the county
- Aligns with Sussex Dance Network’s core values
- Treat every person as important, worthy of your time and attention
- Good listner
- Explain the ‘why’ to peers
- Able to have difficult conversations
- Be resilient
- Empower peers to engage in solving diversity issues
- Nurture innovation
- Be prepared to try initiatives and learn from their impact
- Foster collaboration between leadership team to achieve our common goals
- Act to involve everyone in the equality, diversity and inclusion agenda.
- Action equality, diversity and inclusion of our audiences at the heart of all you do
- Have experience working to develop small teams and new companies.
- Would like to continue to work in this role with Sussex Dance Network subject to further funding.
How to apply
Please send us your CV and an expression of interest. This should include how you meet the criteria and should identify three areas for discussion that you would be passionate about addressing should you be successful in the role.
Please email: email@example.com
We are an inclusive organisation and we particularly welcome applications from under-represented communities, including, BAME, LGBTQ+, non-binary and disabled candidates.
The submission deadline is Friday 4th September 2020.
Interviews will take place via Zoom on Tuesday 15th September.