© Flavia Catena
Become a Member of SDN for just £30 a year and enjoy being part of a supportive community passionate about dance in Sussex and beyond. We offer a variety of benefits, including discounts on classes, workshops, and courses, as well as opportunities to teach and share work for practicing dance professionals.
Sussex Dance Network is a grassroots organisation, currently run by a small part-time staff team and volunteers. All Membership fees go directly to delivering activities to benefit the dance community in Sussex.
- A warm welcome at all of our regular Networking meetings, a voice in shaping the network and its activities.
- Discounts on our programme of top quality classes and workshops.
- Discounts on selected shows.
- Voting rights at our annual AGM.
- A place on our Member’s Directory.
- Opportunities to teach or SDN.
- Discounts on shows venues
- Discounts on room hire and in the cafe at Brighthelm
- The satisfaction that you are part of a wider collective who are all driven to creating opportunities and promoting contemporary dance in Sussex and the wider area.
- £10 off one-hour massages with our Resident Sports Massage Therapist, Nick Lawson.
- 50% off Sarah Willmott’s professional filmmaking rates.
- 10% off Terry Hyde’s fees for counselling for dancers.
- The opportunity to attend 6 monthly check ins, where you can meet other Members and share what you think the dancer sector needs and how we can support you.
- Opportunities for professional dancers to show work in Members only sharing events and other performance opportunities.
Please note, Sussex Dance Network do not hold any responsibility for the practice of those offering a services as part of our Membership but ensure that all partners have the necessary accreditation.
Moving to a new town can be a daunting experience, but Sussex Dance Network provided the warmest of welcomes. A brief message introducing myself quickly led to a meeting with Katie about the local dance scene, meeting with other local artists at professional class and the invitation to teach open class. Their commitment to nurturing and providing opportunities for local practitioners is refreshing and commendable, and as a result during the short time I spent in Brighton I was able to forge both lasting connections and friendships. They provide not only a framework of support but a real sense of community that so needed in a profession as precarious as the arts.
Harry Scott: Freelance Dance Artist
How to join
Membership is £30 per calendar year and will activate from the date you pay.
When you complete the Membership application form on our website, you will be re-directed to PayPal, where you can make a one off payment either through PayPal itself or using your credit/debit card.
Search current Members profiles
You & SDN
Please read our Constitution and Code here to familiarise yourself with our current aims, ethos and the full terms of Membership.
Non-members are warmly welcomed to one of our regular networking meetings, to meet like-minded people, share what you are doing and find out more about the contemporary dance scene in the Sussex area. On your second attendance, you will be expected to sign up to Membership.
You can attend some of our programmed classes, workshops, and events at a full price.
As a non-member, you can sign up to our mailing list to receive opportunities and news from the network and its Members.
How the network works
If you have been unable to come to our meetings you might not know exactly how the Network works.
We are a grass-roots, artist-led organisation which was born out of the need to connect face-to-face with other artists. Our Members make opportunities for themselves and for the benefit of others. We have the long term in our sights – we understand that we have to put time and effort into making this the community we want. A community that will support dance artists through the length of their careers. We know that by making an opportunity for one can lead to opportunities for many. All of the Sussex Dance Network’s activities happen through the hard work of our small part-time staff team and volunteers.
We welcome Members to put forward ideas that will benefit the whole, which have sustainability at the heart. We can’t presently offer money, but we have a group of enthusiastic and highly skilled artists, producers and administrators who are willing to give their time and expertise, and which we believe is just as valuable. If you can see room for improvement in the SDN please come along to our next meeting to get involved with making it better.
SDN Committee and AGM
Our Committee Members are
Antonia Grove – Chair
Lisa Sang – Secretary
Fred Daly – Treasurer
All our regular committee meetings are open to Members to attend and observe. Please email our Secretary Lisa Sang to express your interest.
In December we hold Annual General Meetings whereby all Members can vote on the aims of the SDN, the selection of Committee Members and changes to the Constitution